Tuesday, August 14, 2007

If it's Tuesday it must be flutes and drums



I spent half the night and much of this morning working on a two-chamber whistle. Finallly got it together and working midday! WHEW!


Today was a whirlwind day of various drums and various flutes. We got a great demo and talk on drum making. Then we moved on to the flutes. I have finally made a flute that can play a western scale - with only 1 missing note. Perhaps Brian (our instructor) will find the missing note tomorrow.




I





The class is really working well together, helping each other out and being incredibly supportive - which is sort of remarkable given that we're all making a variety of whistly and windy sounds - not all of which are particularly lovely, and all of which could get downright annoying with the amount of repitition we are subject to. But everyone is genuinely enjoying everyone else's sound "discovery".

The studio is large and we each have an entire table to work on - since the studio is open 24 hours we can leave stuff out and come back to it whenever we want. I didn't think I'd get this into it, but it's been very hard to pull myself away from the studio for meals or to take a break. When I do, however, I realize how tired I am.

No comments: