Saturday, August 11, 2007

Made it to Penland

I arrived here at about 2:00. The 2 day drive was actually relatively pleasant after getting through the deluge in Connecticut and NJ. I'm really taken by the vastness and beauty of the countryside - the hills and mountains and farm country are.... well... really beautiful.

Fun traveling facts:
Gettysburg is halfway between Boston and Bakersville, NC
The sign on route 81 in Pennsylvania marking the Mason Dixon line is kind of sad looking
It's still jarring to me to see trucks with the confederate flag on their mudflaps!

Tennessee is very proud of its musical heritage as evidenced by a big giant guitar near the visitor's center - I can't download the picture, you'l just have to believe me


There were others, but I've since forgotten them

The final hour of the trip was up the mountain on an incredible winding road.

Today was Penland's big auction - I arrived in its final couple of hours. I got put to work immediately sorting out pieces bought at the auction. My first bonding experience!
The people are extremely friendly and it was great fun - and really hot!

The views are amazing!
Stay tuned

No comments: